Juvenile Justice System
In this project, you will demonstrate your mastery of the following competencies:
Describe the components of the United States justice system and how they are interrelated
Explain how various types of communication skills are utilized by sworn and civilian criminal justice professionals
You are a community outreach coordinator at your local law enforcement agency. The department has undertaken an initiative to reach out to diverse populations in your community. There is always a need in your community for support toward becoming a citizen; numerous recent immigrants, resident aliens, and documented immigrants could benefit from a outreach materials that explain how the criminal justice system works in the United States. You have been given the task of creating outreach materials for this initiative. The materials you’ll create for this project are specific to the juvenile justice system or allied professionals; choose just one for the focus of this project.
1. Explain how your topic—either the juvenile justice system or allied professionals—relates to the law enforcement branch of the criminal justice system. Include information from one of the main bullets below.
i.School resource officers
ii. School-to-prison pipeline
i.Victim’s rights advocates
iii.Counselors / psychologists
iv.Community service professionals
2. Explain how your topic—either the juvenile justice system or allied professionals—relates to the courts branch of the criminal justice system. Include information from one of the main bullets below.
i. Restorative justice
ii. Court process for juveniles
iii. Diversion / alternatives to arrest
i. Guardians ad litem
ii. Witness protection
iii. Counselors / psychologists
3. Explain how your topic—either the juvenile justice system or allied professionals—relates to the corrections branch of the criminal justice system. Include information from ONE of the main bullets below.
i. Juvenile parole/probation officers
ii. Separation from adults
ii.Mental health counselors
1. Food services
2. Medical services
4. Explain how social media relates to communication skills that are important in your topic.
>Who uses social media?
>For what purposes do people use social media?
5. Explain how active listening is a communication skill important in your topic.
>Who should use active listening?
>Why should active listening be used?
6. Explain how cultural awareness is an important communication skill in your topic.
>Why is cultural awareness important?